Re: Installing ffmeg-free degrades firefox video support

On Sunday, 05 June 2022 at 19:15, Kevin Kofler via devel wrote:
> Michael Catanzaro wrote:
> > P.S. Vitaly, your suggestions to enable rpmfusion are not helpful for
> > inexperienced Fedora users, who expect multimedia to work
> > out-of-the-box. Common multimedia needs like "play a video" absolutely
> > need to work without rpmfusion, and we need Fedora developers testing
> > this to make sure it works.
>
> It is common knowledge that Fedora is/was effectively useless for anything
> remotely related to multimedia without RPM Fusion packages.

That's entirely false. There are many multimedia-related uses which are
covered solely by the package set shipped in Fedora repositories. For
example, a DLNA server on my home LAN works just fine with minidlna and
ffmpeg-free. You can use ffmpeg-free to manipulate videos encoded with
royalty-free codecs. Most videos on YouTube are also available in either
VP9 or AV1 and with Opus audio.

> * and now shipping an incomplete version of FFmpeg in Fedora, even with at
> least two non-upstream and non-upstreamable hacks (the one to dlopen
> OpenH264 instead of linking it – FFmpeg upstream hates runtime dlopen –, and
> the one to allow FDK-AAC without --enable-nonfree, so that it can even be
> used together with --enable-gpl, in blatant violation of the upstream
> licenses, which are incompatible with each other, as confirmed by the FSF).

Unless you're a lawyer, the above statement is false. Red Hat legal says
the modified FDK-AAC is free and GPL-compatible, so there's no violation
of licenses here.

> All these compromises:
> * violate the core Freedom principle of Fedora, and

How?

> * lead to a degraded user experience compared to just installing fully
> functional multimedia codecs under Free copyright licenses from RPM Fusion.

Which Fedora cannot legally ship.

> Also because non-upstream hacks such as relying on OpenH264 (dlopened, even)
> for FFmpeg (instead of the superior and default native FFmpeg H.264 decoder
> and libx264 H.264 encoder) confuse the heck out of applications such as
> Firefox, as evidenced by this thread.

Firefox can be adapted if really necessary. Do you have a bug report to
refer to?

> There has also been little to no communication or coordination with RPM
> Fusion on these points.

That's, to use your rhetoric, blatantly false.

> In some cases, concerns raised by RPM Fusion developers have been
> deliberately ignored (e.g., in the AAC case).

It was not ignored. The case was referred to FESCo where it was
discussed and a decision was made to go ahead with the limited decoder.
For the record, I was against it.

> In
> others, one RPM Fusion maintainer was contacted, but neither the Fedora
> maintainer nor the RPM Fusion maintainer has discussed the issue on the RPM
> Fusion mailing list (where such a plan ought to be discussed IMHO) or even
> with other RPM Fusion maintainers (e.g., in the FFmpeg case). This leaves a
> bitter feeling with people involved with RPM Fusion that you are
> deliberately sabotaging their years-long hard work, even if that was never
> the intention.

That is also blatantly false. The idea was posted by Andreas on
rpmfusion-developers list in November 2021 and I (one of the FFmpeg
maintainers) was the only one who responded. The other maintainers made
no comments in that thread.

In other words, Kevin, please stop spreading lies.

Regards,
Dominik
--
Fedora   https://getfedora.org  |  RPM Fusion  http://rpmfusion.org