Re: Installing ffmeg-free degrades firefox video support

On Sun, Jun 5, 2022 at 8:37 AM Neal Gompa <ngompa13@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> H.264 is supported through OpenH264, and H.265 is not a popular codec.
> Aside from Apple services (which are not available to Linux users
> anyway), nobody uses H.265 because of the patent situation with HEVC.

In the US, ATSC 3.0 TV Broadcasts (a nascent but
growing tech) typically (there are options) uses H.265
video encoding and AC-4 for audio(*) for which one
can record the OTA broadcasts using available
commercial tuners for later viewing, well, if you have
a platform/application that supports the codecs for
the viewing (mostly windows, mac, ios, android)

I do agree that there is a dearth of H.265 encoded
content that is widely available via authorized
distribution channels, and even less if the target
audience includes linux users and is not otherwise
adaptive to the clients capabilities.

(*) A different IP minefield.