Re: F37 proposal: Build all JDKs in Fedora against in-tree libraries and with static stdc++lib (System-Wide Change proposal)

On Wed, 2022-05-25 at 15:03 +0200, Jiri Vanek wrote:

> On 5/24/22 21:41, Vitaly Zaitsev via devel wrote:
> > On 24/05/2022 21:00, Jiri Vanek wrote:
> > > I repeat what was told several times.We really do no t like this
> > > change, especially in its full sound of one static build repacked
> > > to all ive fedoras, but we have nto found a better way.
> >
> > 1. Stop doing TCK certification. Most Fedora OpenJDK users don't
> > need certified binaries.
> We can not ship uncerified JDK. Sooner or later a swarm of lawyers
> would appear.

100%, though I am not one, I understand as much from the TCK itslef.

> > All they need is a working and well packaged OpenJDK.
> >

>  From point of view of JDK, the jdk will remain working. From point
> of JDK  and generric java world the jdk will be even better.
>  From view of distributions standarts it will become weird misshape.
> Serving it purpose in build root well, serving as system or
> distribution jdk well. But yeah... all was said on this toppic
> already:(

As a user of the JDK as Fedora Linux currently ships it, I can say I am
very grateful for the efforts being made to accomodate it.
> > 2. Reduce the number of OpenJDK branches in the repositories. I
> > think the latest LTS version will be enough.

I have also suggested this, but in historical context JDK 6 hung around
about 10 years longer than expected I think due in large part to the
inertia built by it's prolific use in enterprise systems. This will
undoubtably hold true for JDK 8 as well, since it is currently the
preferred choice by most. Technically speaking WRT JDK releases, some
fall by the wayside (jdk 9 and jdk 10 are two recent).
> I wish it is so simple. Please see my reply to Kevin when I
> enumerated, that we can not keep "jsut latest" lts.

Regards,
Stephen Snow
just some dude who can program ... whatever