Re: F37 proposal: Build all JDKs in Fedora against in-tree libraries and with static stdc++lib (System-Wide Change proposal)

Ben Cotton wrote:
> == Summary ==
> This is initial step to move JDKs to be more like other JDKs, to build
> proper transferable images, and to lower certification burden of each
> binary. Long storyshort, first step in:
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/MoveFedoraJDKsToBecomePortableJDKs
>
> This first step will move, one by one, individual JDKs in F37 to be
> built `--with-stdc++lib=static` and against in-tree (bundeld)
> libraries:  `--with-zlib="bundled"  --with-freetype="bundled"
> --with-libjpeg="bundled"  --with-giflib="bundled"
> --withlibpng="bundled"  --with-lcms="bundled"
> --with-harfbuzz="bundled" `
>
> We already made a heavy testing of the behavior, and user should not
> face negative experience. I'm not sure if this is
>
> == Owner ==
> * Name: [[User:jvanek| Jiri Vanek]]
> * Email: jvanek@xxxxxxxxxx

Let me join the train of -1 votes. I consider this a step entirely in the
wrong direction. The JDK should be linked to system libraries wherever
possible just like our other packages. Language interpreters/JITs are not
exempt from that. In fact, I see very little value in providing JDK packages
at all if they are built that way.

> == Detailed Description ==
> Please see
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/MoveFedoraJDKsToBecomePortableJDKs for
> whole picture

And this plan is entirely unacceptable. It is just plain not allowed in
Fedora to ship prebuilt binary blobs (even if they are built by Fedora
developers), packages are required to be built from source, and that
requirement is there for good reasons. There have so far been no exceptions
whatsoever to this rule (except temporarily for bootstrapping purposes,
conditional on replacing the prebuilt binary with a rebuilt bootstrapped
package before releasing it). I do not see any reason why Java should get an
exception there.

If passing the TCK is such an issue, then please just go back to shipping
the packages under the name IcedTea or some other name not trademarked by
Oracle. With Provides and Obsoletes in place, this will make very little
difference in practice for the end user.

        Kevin Kofler