Re: grub2 BIOS booting iso and code

On Monday, 18 April 2022 at 10:13, Thomas Schmitt wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski wrote:
> > - same machine USB media (written to whole device using dd)
> > Boot fails with "Operation system not found" error.
>
> (Looks like my optimism was somewhat premature.)
>
> I wonder from where this message comes. Was it really "Operation system"
> and not "Operating system" ?

Yes, that's the exact message. It might be coming from BIOS.

> In the cleartext strings of boot-grub2-f36.iso i find no matches for
> the two word string. Searching "peration" yields mostly lines with the
> word "Microsoft" which i assume stem from the EFI secure boot equipment.
> Searching for "perating" i find a few matches.
> None looks like a possible component of the quoted message.
>
> So either i looked for the wrong text snippets, or the message comes
> from the compressed files in the ISO, or it comes from the firmware.
>
> If it comes from the compressed files, then i assume that GRUB was
> found and started. Do you see any message that stems from GRUB ?

None that I can catch. Something might be getting printed to the screen
and then cleared before I can see it.

> > Same USB stick boots fine on another machine (UEFI+SecureBoot), so
> > the medium is fine.
>
> Just to be clear (and just because i cannot get a grip on the problem):
>
> Is this the same USB stick with same ISO image on it ?

Yes, the exact same USB stick works on another machine in UEFI mode.
I'll try to dig up my other BIOS-only machine and try it there.

https://src.fedoraproject.org/rpms/grub2

> With the necesseray GRUB packages installed, do
>
>   mkdir minimal
>   touch minimal/empty-file.txt
>   grub-mkrescue -o output.iso minimal
>
> If such an "output.iso" can be built, then it would be interesting to
> know whether it boots to a "grub> " prompt (more it cannot do without
> any payload).

Thanks. I'll try that and report back.

Regards,
Dominik