Re: grub2 BIOS booting iso and code

Hello, Brian.

On Thursday, 14 April 2022 at 01:52, Brian C. Lane wrote:
> A huge thanks to Thomas Schmitt for posting xorrisofs arguments :)
>
> Here is a lorax PR switching to grub2 for BIOS and changing the layout
> of the iso as described in his post:
>
> https://github.com/weldr/lorax/pull/1226
>
> And a Fedora 36 iso:
>
> https://bcl.fedorapeople.org/boot-grub2-f36.iso

Big thanks to you for working on this!

> I've tested this with:
>
> - qemu bios -cdrom
> - qemu uefi -cdrom
> - qemu bios -hda
> - qemu uefi -hda
> - USB stick on uefi PC hardware with SB off
> - USB stick on UEFI PC hardware with SB on
> - USB stick on Apple hardware UEFI
>   2010 Macbook Air and 2012 Macbook Pro
> - Media test works on all of the above
>
> I have not tested it on CD or DVD physical media. I have a stack of
> blank discs but apparently have unplugged all my drives to use their
> SATA ports for SSDs :)

I've tested your ISO with:

- Dell XPS 15 L502X 8GB RAM (BIOS only) CD-R physical media

Booted and started the installer reasonably fast

- same machine USB media (written to whole device using dd)

Boot fails with "Operation system not found" error.
Same USB stick boots fine on another machine (UEFI+SecureBoot), so
the medium is fine.

Regards,
Dominik
--