Re: grub2 BIOS booting iso and code

Hi,

Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski wrote:
> - same machine USB media (written to whole device using dd)
> Boot fails with "Operation system not found" error.

(Looks like my optimism was somewhat premature.)

I wonder from where this message comes. Was it really "Operation system"
and not "Operating system" ?
In the cleartext strings of boot-grub2-f36.iso i find no matches for
the two word string. Searching "peration" yields mostly lines with the
word "Microsoft" which i assume stem from the EFI secure boot equipment.
Searching for "perating" i find a few matches.
None looks like a possible component of the quoted message.

So either i looked for the wrong text snippets, or the message comes
from the compressed files in the ISO, or it comes from the firmware.

If it comes from the compressed files, then i assume that GRUB was
found and started. Do you see any message that stems from GRUB ?

> Same USB stick boots fine on another machine (UEFI+SecureBoot), so
> the medium is fine.

Just to be clear (and just because i cannot get a grip on the problem):

Is this the same USB stick with same ISO image on it ?

More far fetched:

Can you build a grub-mkrescue ISO from a GRUB development installation
for legacy BIOS and EFI ?
I don't mean a boot installation of GRUB but rather installed packages
equivalent to what Debian offers as:
  grub-common grub-pc-bin grub-efi-amd64-bin
(Sorry, i failed to find the Fedora equivalent of
  https://tracker.debian.org/pkg/grub2
where i could learn about the equivalent package names.)

With the necesseray GRUB packages installed, do

  mkdir minimal
  touch minimal/empty-file.txt
  grub-mkrescue -o output.iso minimal

If such an "output.iso" can be built, then it would be interesting to
know whether it boots to a "grub> " prompt (more it cannot do without
any payload).

Have a nice day :)

Thomas