Re: GNOME Online Accounts "Fedora" - Pre-authentication failed

On Fri, Apr 8, 2022 at 1:29 PM Björn Persson <Bjorn@rombobjörn.se> wrote:

> Michael Catanzaro wrote:
> > On Thu, Apr 7 2022 at 12:30:42 PM -0400, Stephen Gallagher
> > <sgallagh@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > > Well, it *could* grow an interface to some of the password wallet
> > > services that support TOTP or HOTP codes (like Bitwarden, Lastpass,
> > > 1password, etc.) and configure it to query that service and append the
> > > code to the password. It doesn't help if you want/need a physical
> > > token, though.
> >
> > Good idea. Of course we'd probably want to use GNOME Keyring for this
> > (which does not currently support third-party services, but could in
> > the future). I suppose gnome-online-accounts would only need to store
> > the TOTP/HOTP seed and some config data.
>
> This sounds like you would store the password and the TOTP seed
> together in the same keyring. That's rather pointless. If you store two
> secrets together, then they are effectively a single secret, and the
> TOTP just adds an unnecessary step to the authentication protocol. It's
> better to generate a long random key for your "password", store that in
> your keyring, and not bother with TOTP.

It would be pointless if you did this everywhere, but not if you only
did it for certain excepted services that you trust. Then, you're
using 2FA everywhere except that trusted service. Many services with
2FA support application-specific passwords that are intended to be
used once in a trusted service and forgotten, leaving that service the
only application that uses that specific credential (usually used for
applications that are not interactive or otherwise don't support OTP
codes). This also allows that service's password to be revoked
independently. So, the authentication requirements would look like:
(password + OTP) OR (app-specific password 1) OR (app-specific
password 2) OR etc.

Fedora could provide application-specific passwords in our OTP
implementation for that purpose.

Or, GNOME could be made to prompt for a new OTP when needed, use it to
get a new Kerberos ticket, and then discard it until that ticket can
no longer be renewed without re-authenticating. Even then, the OTP
should only be requested when the credential is actually being used by
the user.

The first option is simpler and a reasonable compromise, but the
second is clearly more secure.