Re: RHEL moving to issues.redhat.com only long term

On Fri, Mar 11, 2022 at 02:34:29PM +0100, mkolman@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> On Fri, 2022-03-11 at 08:59 +0000, Daniel P. Berrangé wrote:
> > On Thu, Mar 10, 2022 at 01:41:15PM -0500, Simo Sorce wrote:

> > > Ah thanks, I missed that change, obviously my experience is now
> > > almost
> > > 2 decades long since I had to create my account, but I still think
> > > that
> > > having bugs and code in the same place is a big win for a project
> > > like
> > > Fedora, it is the same model followed by most upstream projects at
> > > this
> > > point and seem to be working well.
> >
> > Yes, I find having the issue tracker alongside the code repo is a
> > good
> > thing for usability. For a start you have a list of bugs to browse,
> > visible from a single click. No need to do a search, excluding
> > countless
> > products/projects that are unrelated to Fedora and component you
> > want.
> > Similarly, you get the link to file a new bug directly against the
> > code
> > you're looking at, compared to bugzilla where you must navigate
> > through
> > several pages to even get to selecting Fedora, and then again select
> > the
> > component in the form.
> But what about bugs filled on the wrong component (I maintain both
> initial-setup & firstboot, lets say some users have a different idea
> about what these project names mean) or bugs that are filled on one
> component but turn out to be caused by another one ?
>
> If all the bugs are effectively attached to a forge ditgit repo, what
> to do you effectively need to take them a attach them to a different
> repo ? Close the old one and open a new one on the correct repo ? If
> so, there should be at least some automation for this.

GitLab at least has a "Move issue" button that lets you move
issues between repositories. Behind the scenes it is essentially
re-creating the issue in the new repo and closing the old
one.

> Another thing, tracking bugs or bugs/RFEs impacting multiple
> componenets, where to put those ? Wikipa pages like with the change
> process or some empty forge repo perhaps ?

Bugzilla was no good at tracking stuff across components either.
All the cross-component cloning and linking people did turned
into a big mess, which is a large part of why people increasingly
disliked Bugzilla for RHEL.

At least from Fedora's POV, the Feature page acts as a central
point of information linking off to many different places. I
don't know if that's the best answer, but bending a component
level bug tracker to that does is not it, no matter what bug
tracker we choose, because the granularity is a mismatch.

> Also, while searching in Bugzilla can be quite a mess due to everything
> being one one big pile by default, it can also be very useful to search
> for say error messages, stack traces and other similar behavior across
> bugs. It would be good to check if the forge solution also supports
> that natively, not just searching the bugs attached to a project/repo.

GitLab lets you search across multiple repos at the group level

Regards,
Daniel