Re: RHEL moving to issues.redhat.com only long term

On Fri, 2022-03-11 at 08:59 +0000, Daniel P. Berrangé wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 10, 2022 at 01:41:15PM -0500, Simo Sorce wrote:
> > On Thu, 2022-03-10 at 19:28 +0100, Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski
> > wrote:
> > > On Thursday, 10 March 2022 at 17:51, Simo Sorce wrote:
> > > [...]
> > >
> > > It's been possible to log in with FAS credentials (automatically
> > > if you
> > > have an active Kerberos ticket) into bugzilla for quite some time
> > > now.
> > > I still have my old bugzilla account but I'm not sure it's
> > > required
> > > anymore.
> >
> > Ah thanks, I missed that change, obviously my experience is now
> > almost
> > 2 decades long since I had to create my account, but I still think
> > that
> > having bugs and code in the same place is a big win for a project
> > like
> > Fedora, it is the same model followed by most upstream projects at
> > this
> > point and seem to be working well.
>
> Yes, I find having the issue tracker alongside the code repo is a
> good
> thing for usability. For a start you have a list of bugs to browse,
> visible from a single click. No need to do a search, excluding
> countless
> products/projects that are unrelated to Fedora and component you
> want.
> Similarly, you get the link to file a new bug directly against the
> code
> you're looking at, compared to bugzilla where you must navigate
> through
> several pages to even get to selecting Fedora, and then again select
> the
> component in the form.
But what about bugs filled on the wrong component (I maintain both
initial-setup & firstboot, lets say some users have a different idea
about what these project names mean) or bugs that are filled on one
component but turn out to be caused by another one ?

If all the bugs are effectively attached to a forge ditgit repo, what
to do you effectively need to take them a attach them to a different
repo ? Close the old one and open a new one on the correct repo ? If
so, there should be at least some automation for this.

Another thing, tracking bugs or bugs/RFEs impacting multiple
componenets, where to put those ? Wikipa pages like with the change
process or some empty forge repo perhaps ?

Also, while searching in Bugzilla can be quite a mess due to everything
being one one big pile by default, it can also be very useful to search
for say error messages, stack traces and other similar behavior across
bugs. It would be good to check if the forge solution also supports
that natively, not just searching the bugs attached to a project/repo.