Re: F37 Change: Encourage Dropping Unused / Leaf Packages on i686 (Self-Contained Change proposal)

On Fri, Mar 11, 2022 at 8:41 AM Leigh Scott <leigh123linux@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > On Mon, 2022-03-07 at 12:12 -0500, Ben Cotton wrote:
> >
> > Why isn't this as simple as:
> >
> > 1) Create an f37-multilib-build build tag with all supported arches + i686,
> > and an f37-multilib{,-candidate} build targets to use it (with destination tag
> > of f37-updates-candidate);
> >
> > 2) Drop i686 from f37-build tag;
> >
> > 3) Maintainers of wine and its deps etc. opt-in to i686 with a package.cfg:
> >
> > [koji]
> > targets = f37-multilib
> >
> > (Yes, that would have to be updated after branch point, but that could
> > possibly be automated.)
> >
> > 4) Everyone else leaves their spec files alone, no need to add ExcludeArch:
> > i686.
> >
> > Would that work?
>
> That works ok for rpmfusion.
>
> https://koji.rpmfusion.org/koji/taginfo?tagID=483
>
> fedpkg could be adapted as well, see
>
> https://github.com/rpmfusion-infra/rfpkg/blob/master/rfpkg/__init__.py#L187

This might work for RPMFusion, but only because you have a limited set
of packages, and because you can rely on the Fedora buildroot and
dependencies always to be there.
For Fedora itself, we do not have that luxury. We would need to know
the packages that are needed to build and maintain the base buildroot
plus everything needed to build multilib packages. As I said, this is
not so easy. And then we're back to modifying (adding config files)
all packages that need to be included (or maintaining a hard-coded
list of required packages in fedpkg), so you don't gain anything at
all, compared to the simple opt-out mechanism from this Proposal.

Fabio