Re: Chromium security bugs remain unfixed for > 1 month

On Wed, Mar 2, 2022 at 5:06 AM Demi Marie Obenour <demiobenour@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> What would it take to get tall of the users of QtWebEngine onto 6.2?  I
> don’t think Fedora should ship any version of QtWebEngine except the
> latest, since only the latest version appears to get regular patches.

Well, it is slightly more complicated, as there is a process
to get patches backported (for all of the Qt 5 modules),
and it does happen, but that process can be somewhat
convoluted due to "reasons".

As I recall (and I could easily be wrong about the current
status), qt6-qtwebengine has not yet been packaged/built
for Fedora, which I suspect is at least partially due to the
same reasons that it can be hard to package chromium
(stripping, debundling, etc.), and AFAIK no project yet
requires it (and as it requires resources to maintain once
made available, I suspect there is negative motivation
to make it available until it is actually needed).

Even when qt6-qtwebeingine is packaged, moving to
Qt 6.x from Qt 5.y for a project can be easy or hard,
depending on what the project is doing, but that is a
question for those upstream projects that are using Qt.
I would suggest you directly ask those projects what
their intentions and schedules are.  I suspect most have
a plan for moving forward to Qt 6,x, but it may not be
sufficiently resourced to happen in the near term.
Perhaps the largest project (that I am aware of) would
be KDE, and they have a plan, and are working on it,
but AFAIK have no specific targets for completion (and
for that project, there is a lot of work to accomplish).

Realistically, all of qt5 (including the webengine) is
likely to be part of Fedora for quite some time, just as
qt4 libraries are still available, as some package still
uses them.