Re: Chromium security bugs remain unfixed for > 1 month

Demi Marie Obenour wrote:
> Me too.  I am surprised that the answer is not to automatically
> download and install Canonical’s Snap package; they seem to have
> figured out everything already.  Arch manages to do it by having very
> few patches and using the upstream source tarball.

If you think that just using the binary blobs provided by upstream or some
third party (e.g., Canonical) is a solution for anything, you clearly have
not understood how distribution packaging works.

At most, that approach can work for leaf applications such as the Chromium
browser, but the Chromium code is also used in QtWebEngine and in Electron,
both of which are used to build many desktop applications. QtWebEngine is
used in browsers (Falkon, Angelfish), mail clients (KMail, Kontact), etc.

As far as qt5-qtwebengine is concerned, there is no way I can issue a
security update at this time because the security fixes have not been
backported by Qt upstream yet:
https://code.qt.io/cgit/qt/qtwebengine-chromium.git/log/?h=87-based
The fixes up to CVE-2021-4102 are included in the 5.15.8 security update
that I pushed, CVE-2022-* are not backported upstream yet.

(Well, technically, I suppose I could attempt to backport them from 90-
based, i.e., from QtWebengine 6.2:
https://code.qt.io/cgit/qt/qtwebengine-chromium.git/log/?h=90-based
or even directly from Chromium upstream, but that is extremely time-
consuming and not something I can do on a regular basis.)

And for a library such as QtWebEngine, Snap or Flatpak do not work at all.

Even if you only care about the standalone Chromium, using a third-party
blob will lose you the benefits of distribution packaging.

        Kevin Kofler