Re: Unannounced soname bump: libjasper.so.4 -> libjasper.so.6

On Mon, Feb 14, 2022 at 3:31 AM Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek
<zbyszek@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Sun, Feb 13, 2022 at 04:27:36PM -0500, Neal Gompa wrote:
> > I used to be motivated to write such a bot, but after the rpmautospec
> > thing, I'm not going to bother. I wanted rpmautospec to handle
> > rebuilds without commits/changelog bumps, because then we could
> > trigger rebuilds more simply (dependency drift? rebuild in side-tag
> > then merge once all rebuilds are done). Now it would require
> > interacting with Git and changelog bumps.
> >
> > Essentially, this is the model that is used in openSUSE and it's quite
> > a bit less stressful.
>
> I think you're mixing up two things here. We *do* want to record the
> fact that the rebuild happened. It should be visible in the changelog,
> possibly with some explanatory text and a link to a bug number, and
> the new build should have a release bump. The way that we cause all
> those things to happen in Fedora is by commiting to dist-git. With
> rpmautospec this commit might be empty, but it still needs to exist.

Why? Why does that even *matter*? In ordinary circumstances, there
would be *zero* information to provide anyway. A rebuild should happen
with *no* effort on *anyone's* part. The churn is *already* recorded
by Koji separately in its own metadata.

> The bot for rebuilds would need two privileges: for dist-git and for
> koji. And it was the same before rpmautospec and now. And I think it's
> good that rpmautospec deals with changelog/release number generation
> at the level of a single package, and doesn't try to handle additional
> disto-wide jobs.

Touching Dist-Git is hugely problematic. It creates races between
contributors, collaborators, pull requests, etc. The fact that we have
to do that for rebuilds basically forces manual involvement for all
rebuilds.