Re: Unannounced soname bump: libjasper.so.4 -> libjasper.so.6

On Sun, Feb 13, 2022 at 11:47 AM Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek
<zbyszek@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Sun, Feb 13, 2022 at 09:43:38AM -0600, Michael Catanzaro wrote:
> > On Sun, Feb 13 2022 at 02:26:46 PM +0100, Miro Hrončok <mhroncok@xxxxxxxxxx>
> > wrote:
> > > Considering most of the dependent packages failed to rebuild in this
> > > case, I am
> > > not sure how a robot would be supposed to deal with this :(
> >
> > If the bot can handle everything that doesn't require manual intervention,
> > that's still a good improvement over the status quo.
>
> A bot would be nice, but I think we're unlikely to get this in the
> near future. I think it would be useful to start with a helper script to:
> - identify all dependent packages that need to be rebuild
> - if possible figure out build dependencies (i.e. the cases where we know
>   that some package will fail to build until some other package in the
>   set has been rebuilt),
> - suggest a build order
> - start builds in a side tag
>
> Then you could ask a proven packager to just run the rebuild command,
> even if you don't have the privileges yourself.
>
> If we ever want to write a bot for this, this script will be a good
> starting point…

I used to be motivated to write such a bot, but after the rpmautospec
thing, I'm not going to bother. I wanted rpmautospec to handle
rebuilds without commits/changelog bumps, because then we could
trigger rebuilds more simply (dependency drift? rebuild in side-tag
then merge once all rebuilds are done). Now it would require
interacting with Git and changelog bumps.

Essentially, this is the model that is used in openSUSE and it's quite
a bit less stressful.