Re: Unannounced soname bump: libjasper.so.4 -> libjasper.so.6

On Fri, Feb 11, 2022 at 09:45:53PM +0100, Kevin Kofler via devel wrote:
> Miro Hrončok wrote:
> > It was actually announced:
> >

> https://lists.fedoraproject.org/archives/list/devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/thread/FV53ADNJB5STFN3YAEEXEVHMIA6DMXCN/
> >
> > But for reasons I don't understand, it was pushed to rawhide without using
> > a side tag and without doing rebuilds :(
> >
> > I agree that untagging this is the best option now, it breaks hundreds of
> > packages both on runtime and buildtime.
>
> As a comaintainer of at least 2 of the affected packages (kdelibs3 and
> kdelibs 4), I must say I do not really understand why this is such a big
> deal. 18 packages would have needed to be rebuilt in Rawhide. "Hundreds of
> packages" is just with transitive dependencies that do not all need to be
> rebuilt. The untagging just makes us lose time because we can not rebuild
> the packages directly in Rawhide now.

As a release engineer trying to get a rawhide compose, I do find this a
big deal. (Another f37 compose just failed because of this issue).

> The fact that we got automatically filed FTI bugs within hours is also
> absurd. It would be easiest to just have a provenpackager rebuild the
> packages and not bother the maintainers at all (nor untag the package).
> Filing a bug makes sense only if an FTI persists for more than a week at the
> very least. Transient breakage in Rawhide is perfectly normal.

no. It means that this should be done in a side tag and merged when it's
ready / everything(or most everything) is rebuilt.

> We have always worked that way in Rawhide: if a soname got bumped, just
> rebuild the reverse dependencies and move on. It worked without any issues.
> So I do not see why this is suddenly no longer allowed.

Long ago we worked that way. Back when there were few packages and few
maintainers. Now we don't and shouldn't. We should use side tags and
merge things only when ready. Keeping rawhide working helps everyone who
is trying to use it to integrate their changes. Dumping breakage into
rawhide and expecting others to clean it up makes it harder for almost
everyone.

kevin