Self introduction: glaring gibbon

About me;

That's not my real name but it's close enough and most people get it wrong anyway.

I have no previous experience of FOSS (other than using it). I thought that this might help me get a better understanding of how linux systems operate under the hood.

I don't work in IT, this is a hobby. I'd describe myself as an enthusiastic amateur and I would like to improve my skills to the point where I could could earn a living at it. It's not work when you're enjoying it, is it? Being self-taught, it is very easy for bad habits to develop. I can see that I need to take a more professional attitude which is one of the reasons I joined up.

Interests;

    Python
    HTML/CSS/JS
    Sysadmin/devops
    Virtualisation

Packaging;

I have an idea for a package proposal and I have contacted the dev responsible out of courtesy. Hopefully he responds positively and I can figure out how to package it all up. Fingers crossed.

If there's something you'd like packaged but haven't got the time for, and it falls within the interests above, then let me know. I'd like the practice.

There's one package I'd like to co-maintain so I'm going to contact the relevant party but if anyone has anything they need some help with, and it falls within the interests above, then feel free to get in touch.

Documentation;

Seems that's also a good place to start. That's right in my wheelhouse. As long as it's in English. And falls within the interests above, obviously.

I did notice some discrepancies following the Package Maintainers docs when I was setting up GPG. The menu options in Seahorse weren't as described. There doesn't appear to be much help if you can't connect to a key server. Which I couldn't. I think I've found a work around and I'd appreciate it if someone would verify that's all done properly as I have no experience with GPG. Thanks in advance.

Sponsor;

I was chatting online with an existing community member who suggested they would be able to sponsor me, or find someone who would, but, just in case that falls through for any reason, I'd like to have a plan B. If you, or someone you know, would be able to stand in then I'd be pleased to hear from you.

If you have 5 min;

I'm keen to learn and collectively you already know everything. Any tips/help/guides/tutorials/pointers/etc you may have are all gratefully received.

Current projects;

Desktop customisation.

This started out with me trying to use the mouse less and understand dotfiles. Fell down a rabbit-hole there. Then I came across this neovim setup and now I'm through the looking glass.

So now I'm trying to put a python centric, terminal/TUI desktop environment based on qtile, alacritty, python/ipython, tmux, neovim, ranger, w3m and powerline so far.

Containerised python dev.

I've next to no experience with containers but I think it might be a solution to python venvs and all the clutter in $HOME. I did just come across Silverblue which sounded like an answer but I'm not sure it's the right answer in light of the next project.

Virtual lab.

I have some experience with virt-manager on CentOS7 and Gnome Boxes on Fedora but only to prevent me from screwing up my "real" PC.

I have 2 PCs, laptop and mobile, with enough ooomph to run as virtualization platforms.

I'd like to have a python dev box, a work box and a personal box running on top that I can switch between. Whether that's a VM or a container, I'm not 100% sure yet.

I have been learning Flask and FastAPI, when I have completed a project in local dev, I'd like to practice rolling it out in a test environment.

It would also be a sandbox for me to learn whatever I wanted to learn, without screwing anything up. With that in mind, I'd like to work my way through u/IConrad "How to be a sys admin" list on r/sysadmin (I think).

As a test, I've installed F35 server and installed the virtualisation tools. I set up a F35 WorkStation VM and an official python container with default settings. I know I can do this. What I'm trying to understand now is the best partition/file system scheme to use. I'd like to build on firm foundations and get it right first time. Measure twice, cut once and all that.

I have an Rpi set up as a git server and storage so I can migrate existing data when the time comes to deploy. Is there anything I haven't thought of that would be helpful?

Backup and Recovery

At the minute I have a python script that copies certain files and folders to a USB. This all requires a robust backup plan and that script isn't it. I haven't even started looking at this yet but I'd like to take account for it when I set all this up.

I look forward to working and learning from as many of you as possible and hope I'll be able to repay the favour or more likely pass it forward.

Cheers

Glaring Gibbon