Re: F37 Change: MinGW UCRT target (Self-Contained Change proposal)

On Fri, Feb 04, 2022 at 05:20:31PM +0400, Marc-André Lureau wrote:
> Hi
>
> On Mon, Jan 31, 2022 at 8:18 PM Kevin Kofler via devel <
> devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > For the record:
> >
> > https://www.msys2.org/docs/environments/#msvcrt-vs-ucrt states:
> > > MSVCRT […] Works out of the box on every Microsoft Windows versions.
> >
> > This is not entirely true. MSVCRT.DLL was introduced in Windows 95 OSR 2.
> > The original Windows 95, with or without the only service pack released
> > for
> > it (SP1, because OSR 2 was not released as a service pack, only as an "OEM
> > service release" for new computers), shipped only the even older
> > CRTDLL.DLL
> > (which MinGW stopped supporting years ago) out of the box, MSVCRT.DLL had
> > be installed through a redistributable (which was included with many
> > applications including Microsoft Office, but it was not part of the
> > operating system).
> >
> > But yes, for Windows releases ≥ 95 OSR 2 and < 10 (and no, Windows version
> > numbers are not anywhere near monotonic ;-) ), MSVCRT is included out of
> > the
> > box, UCRT is not. Is it really a good default to depend on a runtime
> > library
> > that is only included in Windows ≥ 10?
> >

> This proposal doesn't change the default. Although we can discuss whether
> deprecating msvcrt support in Fedora-MinGW would make sense today.

There's a variety of sites claiming to have stats on different
Windows versions. They all show Windows 10 with the majority,
but disagree on just how much older stuff still gets used. As
one example though, this shows Windows 7 with 12 % and
Windows 8.1 on 3 %.  That 15% is too significant to declare
that MSVCRT is deprecated yet.

  https://gs.statcounter.com/windows-version-market-share/desktop/worldwide/

> Fwiw, given that the primary use case for a cross-toolchain is for
> developer needs, I think it is reasonable to have only UCRT target in the
> future.

At some point off in the future maybe, but we would need to see the
stats for older Windows 7/8 releases drop significantly lower than
they are today.

> Projects releasing for Windows should probably natively build and test
> their releases with Msys2, and they can do so for msvcrt targets.

Testing yes, but building no. I do all Windows builds using Fedora
cross compilation, using pristine mock chroots. The idea of building
under Msys2 on a Windows machine I now have to maintain in a pristine
condition, is not at all appealing. I don't want to have to figure
out a different way to build that's equivalent to what mock offers
me. It is much more appealing to have a single machine from which I
can do both Linux and Windows builds using the same basic infra for
both

Regards,
Daniel