Re: F36 Change proposal: No ifcfg by default (Self-Contained Change)

Once upon a time, Michael Cronenworth <mike@xxxxxxxxxx> said:
> On 1/6/22 7:53 AM, Chris Adams wrote:
> >ifcfg scripts don't run an RA server.  You can set signaling radvd,
> >which can also be done with NM dispatcher scripts (which would be much
> >more flexible, since it wouldn't be hard-coded to just radvd like the
> >ifcfg scripts).
>
> Do you use this in real-life?
>
> How do you get the PD address into the radvd config using NM dispatcher?

No, I haven't done this (been considering it though for a project).  But
if I wanted to not use NM for IPv6 PD, I just wouldn't use NM for IPv6
PD at all (not use it for part and then try to pass the info out).  So
do it like the ifcfg scripts, I guess using dhclient and radvd.

But, for that matter, I have no idea how ifcfg handles it, since I can't
find any documentation about it.  The only references to radvd in the
ifcfg doc are for 6to4/PPP.  Which is part of the problem with the ifcfg
scripts anyway - there's a pile of undocumented functionality with
hard-coded assumptions (like, what if I want to use some other software
for IPv6 PD).  At least with NM, the docs are better (IMHO), the UI is
better, and the dispatcher is flexible for many more situations.

It might be a good feature request for NM to export PD info, since it's
not listed in the NM-dispatcher man page.

--
Chris Adams <linux@xxxxxxxxxxx>