Re: F36 Change: Default To Noto Fonts (System-Wide Change proposal)

Ben Cotton wrote:
> == Summary ==
> Changing the default fonts for various languages to Noto Fonts as much
> as possible, to make consistency on the text rendering.
>
> == Owner ==
> * Name: [[User:Tagoh|Akira TAGOH]]
> * Email: <tagoh@xxxxxxxxxx>

Considering that DejaVu had been chosen as the default font for its high
coverage (by the standards at that time), that that coverage has been
significantly surpassed by Noto, and that DejaVu appears to be unmaintained
upstream (no commits for 5 years, whereas it used to be released every 2
weeks or so to improve coverage back in the day), this looks like a
reasonable thing to do.

Also note that Noto is already the default in KDE Plasma.

> == Detailed Description ==
> For a long time we have used DejaVu fonts as the default font for
> European and other language scripts. On the other hand some language
> scripts are not covered by DejaVu and hence have other default fonts.
> (A few languages like Chinese, Japanese and Korean, as well as
> Gurmukhi, Sinhala, and emoji are already using Noto fonts by default
> for some time.)  This situation leads to inconsistencies in text
> rendering on applications and desktops, particularly when mixing
> different character sets. Further Noto fonts bring some further
> advantages: the fonts are generally higher quality and support
> variable fonts for most scripts, making them more compact.
>
> This change aims to provide better experience and consistent text
> rendering across more languages by replacing DejaVu with Noto as the
> general system default set of fonts.

+1

However:

> And you can check
> [https://tagoh.fedorapeople.org/fonts/noto/f36-noto.html the table] to
> see what languages will be affected by this change.

I see in this table that there are still a bunch of languages using non-Noto
fonts where there appears to be a Noto equivalent available, e.g.,
https://fonts.google.com/noto shows me Devanagari, Bengali, and Tamil on the
first page whereas your table indicates that Lohit fonts will continue to be
used there. What is the reason for that? Are the Noto fonts for those
scripts incomplete? I think using Noto wherever possible would lead to a
more consistent experience.

        Kevin Kofler