Re: Package wishlist site?

On Thu, Dec 23, 2021 at 12:47:01AM +0100, Jakub Kadlčík wrote:
> I haven't seen almost any distribution having a package wishlist so it
> is either a bad idea (and doesn't have any real value) or everybody
> else missed a good opportunity. Or possibly they (maybe even Fedora)
> have it, but it is not advertised well.
>
> The use-cases, I imagine:
>
> 1. I am a non-technical Fedora user without the ability to learn RPM
>    packaging, and I would like to have some software in the Fedora
>    repositories.

Generally, putting the package on a wishlist is then an exercise in
disappointment, because....

> 2. I want to learn RPM packaging and I don't want to package
>    hello.spec for the hundredth time

... the things that people tend to add to these lists are often not great
starter packages.

> 3. I want to become a Fedora packager but I don't work on an upstream
>    project that is not already in the Fedora repositories.
> 4. I am bored and feeling altruistic

Yeah, I'd love to try to encourage these things. So _maybe_ the idea is
worth trying.

> Implementation options:
[...]

As someone pointed out, we do have a wiki page, but that's not very
successful. Of the things you suggest, I think a pagure or gitlab tracker is
probably the most viable.

Another option would be to set up a category on Fedora Discussion -- see
https://discussion.fedoraproject.org/t/considering-a-general-reorganization-of-this-site/34174/53?u=mattdm
... this would probaly go in the "Specific Workflows" section. We could have
a template for the category and enable voting (with, of course, a clear
notice that voting doesn't mean anything but 'there's a lot of user
interest').

Either way, though, if it's just a place where suggestions go to die, it's
probably better to not have at all.

--
Matthew Miller
<mattdm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>