Re: Package wishlist site?

On Thu, Dec 23, 2021 at 10:41 AM Matthew Miller
<mattdm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > 3. I want to become a Fedora packager but I don't work on an upstream
> >    project that is not already in the Fedora repositories.
> > 4. I am bored and feeling altruistic
>
> Yeah, I'd love to try to encourage these things. So _maybe_ the idea is
> worth trying.

The problem with package wishlists is that ...

> Either way, though, if it's just a place where suggestions go to die, it's
> probably better to not have at all.

... this is generally what they are.  The reason is that the size of
the set of people in category 4 is approximately zero.  Real-life
motivations to package software, in my experience, fall into these
categories:

5. I use or want to use application X, and want it to be available from Fedora.
6. I use or want to use application X and package Y is required at
application X build-time or run-time.
7. My employer pays me to keep package X in working order.

If somebody is motivated to add an item to a wishlist, that person is
essentially claiming membership in category 5 or 6.  The hangup then,
presumably, is that this person is lacking one or more of time,
knowledge, or motivation to actually package the software.  If it is
knowledge, then what we really want is a "please teach me how to
package software X" list.  We might be able to do something about
*that*.

Lack of time or motivation is, of course, beyond our ability to help.
--
Jerry James
http://www.jamezone.org/