Re: Creating users/groups in RPMs with EL7 compatibility

On Tue, Dec 21, 2021 at 02:47:10PM +0100, Vít Ondruch wrote:
Dne 21. 12. 21 v 13:13 Ewoud Kohl van Wijngaarden napsal(a):
Thanks for that. It looks like Fedora 32 added the new %sysusers_create_compat macro. That means the guidelines apply to all supported Fedora versions but not to EL7 & EL8. Is this something that would normally be noted in the docs or are the docs intended as purely Fedora? As a packager I feel it should be mentioned that given EPEL falls under the Fedora umbrella.

There is this chapter of guidelines:

https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/packaging-guidelines/#_applicability

Great: https://pagure.io/packaging-committee/pull-request/1143

Ideally speaking the macros would become available in EL7 & EL8 but I'm guessing that's unlikely

Speaking with my Red Hat hat on, maintainers typically tries to backport as much as possible. However, not everything is possible to backport. But the best way to provide feedback about RHEL is by contacting RH support to help prioritize your issue.

With my own Red Hat hat I'm well aware of this :)

Please note that you might also consider to use CentOS Stream to propose your suggestions. Certainly for RHEL 9.

I didn't check, but I since EL9 is based on Fedora 34 and this was added in Fedora 32 I assumed it will be present. I guess it could be submitted to Stream 8.

, especially for EL7.

Well ...

https://access.redhat.com/support/policy/updates/errata#Maintenance_Support_2_Phase

That's why I said it. Technically on EL7 there is no systemd-rpm-macros package so it could be introduced in EPEL7 but that's rather ugly so I'd rather not touch that.