Re: F36 Change: Users are administrators by default in the installer GUI. (Self-Contained Change proposal)

On 11/29/21 1:33 PM, Ben Cotton wrote:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/Users_are_admins_by_default_in_Anaconda

= Users are administrators by default in the installer GUI =

== Summary ==

The Anaconda installer GUI will have the administrative rights
checkbox on the User screen ticked by default.

== Owner ==

* Name: [[User:Vladimirslavik| Vladimir Slavik]]
* Email: vslavik@xxxxxxxxxx

== Detailed Description ==

Currently, the Anaconda installer GUI presents an unticked checkbox
"Make this user administrator" on the user setup screen by default.
This means users have to discover the control, understand its meaning,
and consciously decide to change the value from the default one.

[Snip]

I find this wording confusing, and I've been using Linux for at least 15 years now. I think if we're making changes to reduce user confusion we may want to change the wording as well?

Perhaps a better wording would be "Grant user administrator privileges (allow sudo)"? Something to make it clear the resulting user isn't root, but can act as root.

I had always assumed the "Make this user administrator" checkbox meant the created user would effectively _be_ root, just with a different username.

After playing with yesterday's KDE rawhide compose, I boldly decided to check the box. Apparently what it really means is the created user is a member of the wheel group and can use sudo. This also appears to disable the root user spoke in Anaconda. The resulting install fixes one of my biggest gripes with the KDE spin. So I say the checking it by default part of the change proposal is great! Why was I not checking this all along? As mentioned in the change proposal this basically matches what happens with the user gnome-initial-setup creates so it's a consistency win as well.