Re: F36 Change: Users are administrators by default in the installer GUI. (Self-Contained Change proposal)

On Wed, 2021-12-01 at 09:29 -0600, Brandon Nielsen wrote:
> On 11/29/21 1:33 PM, Ben Cotton wrote:
> > https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/Users_are_admins_by_default_in_Anaconda
> >
> > = Users are administrators by default in the installer GUI =
> >
> > == Summary ==
> >
> > The Anaconda installer GUI will have the administrative rights
> > checkbox on the User screen ticked by default.
> >
> > == Owner ==
> >
> > * Name: [[User:Vladimirslavik| Vladimir Slavik]]
> > * Email: vslavik@xxxxxxxxxx
> >

> > == Detailed Description ==
> >
> > Currently, the Anaconda installer GUI presents an unticked checkbox
> > "Make this user administrator" on the user setup screen by default.
> > This means users have to discover the control, understand its
> > meaning,
> > and consciously decide to change the value from the default one.
> >

> [Snip]
>
> I find this wording confusing, and I've been using Linux for at least
> 15
> years now. I think if we're making changes to reduce user confusion
> we
> may want to change the wording as well?
>
> Perhaps a better wording would be "Grant user administrator
> privileges
> (allow sudo)"? Something to make it clear the resulting user isn't
> root,
> but can act as root.
I think being able to use sudo is not the only user visible thing -
IIRC it will also ask for your password to unlock some configuration
screens or to confirm some forms of package installation/updates.

So non-CLI Fedora users might not actually know what "sudo" means,
while they might understand the administrator privileges concept.

> I had always assumed the "Make this user administrator" checkbox
> meant
> the created user would effectively _be_ root, just with a different
> username.
AFAIK it always added the user to the wheel group. AFAIK there is just
one special root account and you can't change its username.

> After playing with yesterday's KDE rawhide compose, I boldly decided
> check the box. Apparently what it really means is the created user is
> member of the wheel group and can use sudo. This also appears to
> disable
> the root user spoke in Anaconda.
AFAIK it is not disabled - just not required to be configured before
installation can be started. It should still be possible to configure
both user & root accounts from the Anaconda GUI - we just want to
emphasize user with admin privileges as the default.

>  The resulting install fixes one of my
> biggest gripes with the KDE spin. So I say the checking it by default
> part of the change proposal is great! Why was I not checking this all
> along?
My guess is historic inertia. ;-)

>  As mentioned in the change proposal this basically matches what
> happens with the user gnome-initial-setup creates so it's a
> consistency
> win as well.
Yep, that was one of the motivations/validations for this change.