Re: Question for election candidates: do you support allowing Fedora src-git repositories to be hosted on a proprietary software git forge?

On Mon, Nov 29, 2021 at 03:25:29PM -0600, Michael Catanzaro wrote:
On Mon, Nov 29 2021 at 03:15:24 PM -0500, Matthew Miller <mattdm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
source-git is intended to be
distributed and close to upstreams.

Interesting. Why? What you and David are both saying seems so weird to me, I suddenly wonder if I am seriously misunderstanding something, because I know you're reasonable people and must have thought about this for longer than me. But it sounds pretty awful?

src-git is exclusively used for downstream Fedora packaging, so I don't expect upstreams to be interested at all, unless upstream developers are also the Fedora packagers, right? I'm also assuming that direct commits to dist-git will be blocked if src-git is enabled -- because otherwise how would we keep them in sync and avoid breaking src-git? -- and the only way to commit to dist-git would be via src-git. Is that right too?

I think there is a terminology mixup here.  That may have been my
fault, I don't know.

My original reply was using the term "src-git" to refer to this:

    https://packit.dev/docs/source-git/

As Matthew stated, this PackIt functionality is not the same as
src.fedoraproject.org.

If you were asking about src.fedoraproject.org, that was my
misunderstanding.  I do not support moving src.fedoraproject.org to a
non-open source forge.  I thought you were asking about the PackIt
source-git functionality and whether or not we should restrict it to
only upstream projects hosted on a Fedora forge, such as Pagure.

So we want to move Fedora packaging closer to upstream and away from Fedora? I just don't get it. Won't that make life harder for Fedora packagers, especially provenpackagers? If src-git is distributed such that you can have src-git repositories anywhere, then contributing to arbitrary Fedora packages becomes pretty annoying, right? E.g. imagine if we moved our gnome-shell packaging to src-git and decided to use gitlab.gnome.org, because that is close to upstream. Then suddenly you need an account on gitlab.gnome.org if you want to contribute to Fedora's gnome-shell package? Now next time the library xyz package maintainer -- who has nothing to do with GNOME -- wants to rebuild every Fedora package that depends on library xyz, it requires opening a merge request on gitlab.gnome.org, because that's where the Fedora packaging lives? How would that even work for releng scripts like mass rebuilds?

PackIt's source-git functionality does not removed the current
workflow.  That remains the same.  What it offers is a mechanism for
upstream maintainers and Fedora package maintainers to more closely
coordinate their work.  Everything still has to go through dist-git
though.

What is the value in moving Fedora packaging away from Fedora infrastructure?

This is not something I want to do.

Could we set up open-source Gitlab and run that? Well, history has
shown that the answer is "probably not, actually".

I don't believe it. If GNOME and KDE and freedesktop.org and Debian and Purism can all do it, I'm pretty sure Fedora can too. GNOME has two sysadmins handling all of GNOME infrastructure, one of whom is part-time, but GNOME GitLab never seems to lag too far behind upstream.

I'll avoid responding to the big list of other cool stuff we could be doing, since it's hard to argue that cool stuff is cool. ;)

Thanks,

--
David Cantrell <dcantrell@xxxxxxxxxx>
Red Hat, Inc. | Boston, MA | EST5EDT