Re: Question for election candidates: do you support allowing Fedora src-git repositories to be hosted on a proprietary software git forge?

On Mon, Nov 29, 2021 at 03:15:24PM -0500, Matthew Miller wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 29, 2021 at 12:06:13PM -0600, Michael Catanzaro wrote:
> > Hi, I have a question for the FESCo and Council candidates: do you
> > support allowing Fedora src-git repositories to be hosted on
> > gitlab.com, which a proprietary software git forge?
>
> I am not one of these candidates, but I think the answer here _has_ to be
> "yes", and not just for GitLab but also GitHub. That's because unlike
> dist-git (which is all in one place, _here_), source-git is intended to be
> distributed and close to upstreams. It should be possible to create a
> source-git repo in the git forge the upstream project prefers.
>
> From the design document (https://packit.dev/docs/source-git/design/):
>
>    Content of source-git repository is equivalent to dist-git, but uses
>    upstream format: source files instead of tarballs, git commits
>    instead of patches.
>
>    You can host this repository, or the specific git branch, anywhere
>    you want. If you open a pull request, you will receive feedback on
>    the changes:
>
>    * Does the package build with the changes?
>    * Do all the package tests pass?
>    * How about tests of the dependant packages?
>    * Are the changes good to be included in Fedora?
>
>    The goal of packit is to provide automation and tooling to interact
>    with source-git repositories so you don’t have to touch dist-git ever
>    again. Our plan is to center development experience around upstream
>    repositories and source-git.
>
>    Upstream repositories and source-git repositories are pretty much
>    the same thing. Creating source-git only makes sense when the upstream
>    does not accept downstream spec file or adding spec file to such a
>    project doesn’t make sense.
>
> Forbidding source git repositories in the most popular git forges in the
> world would be kneecapping ourselves and not, actually, moving us
> closer towards our project vision.

Also bear in mind you can't actually forbid source git repositories
on any platforms.

Some maintainers already use source git repositories, they just don't
happen to be blessed by the Fedora project. If what Fedora offers
is kneecapped, the maintainers can ignore that offering or treat it
as a second class citizen and do all their work in their preferred
source git platform, merely mirroring into whatever Fedora decides
to be acceptabled as "official" source git.

Regards,
Daniel