Re: Trying to take an orphaned package

I appreciate all the constructive suggestions, particularly those that acknowledge the, uh , inconsistencies in the documentation.

I'll keep plugging away. I dropped into the infra office hours and got someone to offer to review my PR. There are a few python packages I will eventually maintain also.

Regarding the docs, yes the older ones are more useful.
IMHO, it would be better for the new docs to paint a more realistic picture of the process so that newbies don't feel like there is something wrong with them for not figuring it out.

I'm busy trying to find a job right now, so I don't expect that I'll be able to do much wordsmithing until I have a source of income.

Cheers,
Blaise

On Sun, Nov 21, 2021, 1:34 PM Stephen Snow <s40w5s@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Sun, 2021-11-21 at 15:08 +0000, Tom Hughes wrote:

> That's why I gave a link to the old version from the wiki history
> before it was replaced by a pointer to the new page.

It did help for some info. Thank you.
> > > https://fedoraproject.org/w/index.php?title=How_to_get_sponsored_into_the_packager_group&oldid=619444
> > >
> > > Basically you need to find somebody to sponsor you as a
> > > packager - normally that happens as part of having your first
> > > package review but obviously that doesn't work when you want
> > > to take over an existing package.
> >
> > So you see what I was talking about so many (years?!?!) ago, then
> > recently too on this list. It is a common thing it seems that once
> > person steps up to ask for sponsorship something seems to happen. I
> > am
> > struck by the first line of your response "You say you have "asked
> > become a packager" but what exactly do you mean by that?" Well,
> > quite
> > simply what I stated, but yet I am being questioned about my
> > sincereity
> > and credibility immediately.
>
> I wasn't questioning your credibility, I was just confused because
> there's no formal place to lodge such a request as far as I know
> other
> than a review ticket blocking FE-SPONSOR which doesn't apply here.
>
> I was worried that you had filed some sort of request somewhere
> that nobody was looking.

So maybe we have inadvertently found a crack in the process for
onboarding package maintainers.

> > So back to what I was trying to say in my conversation here about
> > some
> > tool for assessing the prospective newbies like me who want to help
> > but
> > need a sponsor, I was thinking of an app that tests your knowledge
> > and
> > the discussion went towards a generic test package to show
> > packaging
> > knowledge with, then make sponsoring come easier for sponsors.
> > Because
> > this seems to be really the crux of the matter, trust or lack of
> > it.
>
> I'm not aware of any previous discussions. I was just answering
> the questions you asked in your post today.
>
> Tom

Again, thank you for taking the time to respond. FWIW I recognize your
name from RH and Fedora for some time, ie years, not trying to make
anyone feel old but it is what it is. The previous discussion was
around onbarding new package maintainers, and the impetus is directly
related to the published orphaned packages, and trying to make them not
be orphaned if needed still. There is a disconnect between the position
taken in the documents around becoming a packager that seems to imply
it is as easy as doing steps #1, #2, then #3, which it isn't.
Also worth noting is that there is a "dummy onboarding package" that
was started by someone on this list as a result of the conversation but
I haven't found any continuation of the idea.

Regards.
Stephen