Re: Trying to take an orphaned package

On Sun, 2021-11-21 at 13:55 +0000, Tom Hughes wrote:
-snip-
> You say you have "asked to become a packager" but what exactly
> do you mean by that?

I've asked to be sponsored before.

> The official documentation on becoming a packager is here:
>
> https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/package-maintainers/Joining_the_Package_Maintainers/

Thanks read that back then.

> But actually I think the old wiki version is much more useful
> in explaining how things work, especially if you're not coming
> at it from the position of submitting a new package:

And it tells me to read a document that doesn't apparently exist
anymore.
> https://fedoraproject.org/w/index.php?title=How_to_get_sponsored_into_the_packager_group&oldid=619444
>
> Basically you need to find somebody to sponsor you as a
> packager - normally that happens as part of having your first
> package review but obviously that doesn't work when you want
> to take over an existing package.
>
> Tom

So you see what I was talking about so many (years?!?!) ago, then
recently too on this list. It is a common thing it seems that once a
person steps up to ask for sponsorship something seems to happen. I am
struck by the first line of your response "You say you have "asked to
become a packager" but what exactly do you mean by that?" Well, quite
simply what I stated, but yet I am being questioned about my sincereity
and credibility immediately.

The documentation referrals are good, but I have read the doc's and can
read them while in process of doing tasks such as packaging, that's
sort of what higher education is supposed to do for us, teach us how to
research the technical aspects of whatever task we face.

So back to what I was trying to say in my conversation here about some
tool for assessing the prospective newbies like me who want to help but
need a sponsor, I was thinking of an app that tests your knowledge and
the discussion went towards a generic test package to show packaging
knowledge with, then make sponsoring come easier for sponsors. Because
this seems to be really the crux of the matter, trust or lack of it.

And I really do want to help with this package since ti seems to be a
dependency for some others and it is important to me to see Fedora
Linux remain a usable distribution (entirely selfishly here).

Regards;
Stephen
(FAS ID jakfrost@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)