Re: RFC: Reduce number of packages that are built for i686

On Thu, Nov 18, 2021 at 1:14 PM Sérgio Basto <sergio@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi,
> another subject that can be related
>
> In thread "I think we should stop building i686 packages we're not
> shipping" we are alerted for builds for i686 that aren't publish .
> Following the tip , I found some packages that we aren't shipped are
> needed to allow mock start the buildroot for example tar-1.34-
> 2.fc35.i686.rpm, tar is only available on koji local repo (1).
>
> I think we should have all i686 packages, that are needed to start a
> buildrooot, published. i.e. available on x86_64 repos. To allow mock
> build i686 packages without need to access to internal koji local repo
> (which may not be public) .

This would break all sorts of things.

It's also not compatible with the current packaging guidelines,
because packages must not conflict with each other unless they have an
explicit Conflicts tag and a good reason to do so. in this case,
tar.x86_64 and tar.i686 would conflict with each other (both providing
/usr/bin/tar, among other files), so that's out of the question.

That's exactly the reason why complex heuristics are applied to which
i686 packages are allowed into the x86_64 repositories as "multilib"
packages.

> But for packages that aren't shipped , I agree not build for i686, we
> already got the concept of multilib package and only multilib packages
> should be build for i686 , I think.

Fabio