Re: F36 Change: Remove Wire Extensions Support (Self-Contained Change proposal)

On Wed, Nov 17, 2021 at 12:06 PM Solomon Peachy <pizza@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 17, 2021 at 11:30:40AM +0100, Iñaki Ucar wrote:
> > I didn't complain. I'm not opposing, yet I'm acknowledging that it is
> > not true that iwconfig is unused. It is very much used, if not just
> > for printing the nice summary that the tool provides when called
> > without arguments.
>
> IIRC there are still a few WEXT-only drivers for obsolete wifi hardware
> in the Linux kernel. I don't know if Fedora builds them or not, but drop
> iwconfig and that hardware becomes unusable under Fedora.  (prism2_usb
> comes to mind)

There's one driver that depends on it and that was only ever shipped
on i686 hardware which we obviously don't support any longer. The
prism2_usb is in staging on it's way out of the kernel and hasn't been
built in Fedora for years.

> Meanwhile, the default summary output of 'iwconfig' is all I have used
> it for in many, many years.  It is _very_ useful in a way that no other
> tool has been. (not unlike the default output of ifconfig _still_ being
> more generally useful than 'ip')
>
> I'm sure all of the info that iwconfig provides can be extracted from
> iw, but it's a lot less convenient.  (Plus some of us have muscle memory
> going back to when iwconfig was the new hotness...)

It also doesn't provide huge amounts of useful information for modern
HW like anything after 11a/11g like no support for 11n/ac/ax HW and it
doesn't report a lot of the newer available frequencies like newer
added 5Ghz bands so while it does provide some slightly useful
information if you actually look closely a lot of it is actually
incorrect.