Re: F36 Change: Package information on ELF objects (System-Wide Change proposal)

On Mi, 03.11.21 15:00, David Sastre (d.sastre.medina@xxxxxxxxx) wrote:

>    - There are a few existing formats for software identification and SBOMs:
>       - SPDX[2], used in the example spec in the proposal
>       - SWID tags[3][4]
>       - OWASP CycloneDX[5]
>       - CPE[6], used in the example JSON above
>       - PURL[1]
>       - probably more :D

I was aware of some of these, in particular CPE. One of our goals here
is to encode data in the most obvious way though, i.e. stay as close
to what the native package manager of the distro does and how it names
things, as we can, to make things easy and mapped directy and not
needlessly pile specs on top of specs. i.e. the goal is not
"decoration" if you so will but directly usable fields whose data you
can pass immediately to the package management tools and they do
useful stuff.

I think some of the listed specs are fine (and I think it might even
make sense to make dnf understand them natively, in select cases), but I
am not convinced we should mandate them here, since our spec is
intentionally simple and liberal in the field it contains: it should
be up to the distro to figure out precisely the fields they want to
populate, we just describe a small set of recommended fields and their
values, in the most obvious way.

(There's also the problem of chicken and egg: I think only two of the
specs you listed gained supported outside of their respective niches,
i.e. the SPDX stuff for licensing and the CPE stuff for marking OS
versions. I doubt that this ELF spec is the right place to push them
more widely, this ELF spec is too nichey for that in itself. Of course
the fact that those specs are not widely used isn't improved by not
using it here either, but I don't think this is the job of our ELF
spec, if you follow what I mean.)

So, the way I see it, the fact we use JSON makes it easy to add
additional fields later. We'd welcome a PR to our spec that declares
additional, optional fields for the more relevant specs you listed
above. i.e. we are happy to extend the table at the end of:

   https://systemd.io/COREDUMP_PACKAGE_METADATA/

with more stuff. File a patch adding that here:

   https://github.com/systemd/systemd/pulls

Once you got these field is into the upstream spec, the next step
would be to convince the distros to actually populate the fields
though, but I think that should happen independently of our current
fedora ELF feature. And it should probably not only entail that these
fields are included in the coredumpable metadata, but probably also
that the distro package management tools can parse/generate them
natively. In fact that's probably the priority, the coredumpable part
should be secondary to that.

> [3]: http://standards.iso.org/iso/19770/-2/2015-current/schema.xsd

broken link.

> [4]: