Re: Fedora 32 System-Wide Change proposal: iptables-nft-default

On Wed, 2021-10-20 at 18:39 +0200, Brian (bex) Exelbierd wrote:
> Resurrecting this old thread.
>
> On Thu, Jan 16, 2020 at 1:09 PM Phil Sutter <psutter@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > Hi Neal,
> >
> > On Thu, Jan 09, 2020 at 06:44:22AM -0500, Neal Gompa wrote:
> > > On Thu, Jan 9, 2020 at 5:15 AM Phil Sutter <psutter@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > [...]
> > > >

> > > Requires: iptables
> > > Suggests: iptables-nft
> >
> > Ah, cool. Adding the Suggests: line to firewalld didn't come to mind. In
> > order to gain a bit of confidence, I played with dnf: If legacy iptables
> > and ebtables are installed, installing firewalld doesn't pull
> > iptables-nft. If OTOH none of arp-, eb- or iptables* is installed,
> > installing firewalld pulls in iptables-nft as a dependency. Sounds like
> > just what I wanted to achieve!
> >

> AIUI, we made the change to use iptables-nft as the default with F32.  We
> also decided that existing iptables-legacy users shouldn't be moved to
> iptables-nft during an upgrade.
>
> However, I think that new installations are still defaulting to
> iptables-legacy.  The group "Common NetworkManager Submodules" pulls in
> `iptables` which seems to pull in iptables-legacy by default.
>
> This feels like an oversight and should be fixed.  Is this correct?

I agree we should probably change that, but I'm not sure it's so
straightforward...I just ran an F35 install (Workstation package set
installed from Server netinst, as it happens) and it got iptables-nft,
not iptables-legacy. I'll have a look at a live instance later.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA