Re: Fedora 32 System-Wide Change proposal: iptables-nft-default

On Mon, Jan 06, 2020 at 06:02:12PM +0100, Phil Sutter wrote:
> Hi Kevin,
>
> I just noticed we didn't finish discussing the package rename proposal
> in related releng issue[1]:
>
> On Wed, Oct 30, 2019 at 05:02:08PM -0400, Ben Cotton wrote:
> [...]
> > To change the status quo, two measures are planned:
> >
> > === Raise priority of nft-variants in <code>alternatives</code> ===
> >
> > Currently, legacy variants are installed with priority 10 and nft
> > variants with priority 5. This must be changed as otherwise installing
> > <code>iptables-legacy</code> in a system with
> > <code>iptables-nft</code> installed would change the active
> > alternative (since they are in automatic mode by default).
> >
> > On the other hand, existing systems using legacy variants should not
> > be changed by a system update. Therefore nft variants' priorities
> > should be chosen to match legacy ones.
> >
> > === Rename <code>iptables</code> package ===
> >
> > New name should be <code>iptables-legacy</code> which aligns with
> > ebtables and arptables and reflects upstream status. To resolve
> > dependencies, <code>Provides: iptables</code> statement will be added
> > to <code>iptables-nft</code> package. This should automatically change
> > the default variant to nft.
>
> My motivation for the rename is to abstract 'iptables' keyword other
> packages depend upon if they need (an implementation of) iptables.
>
> With matching Alternatives priorities, the first installed variant
> package wins and with given lexical ordering, if both legacy and nft
> variants are installed by default Alternatives will point at legacy.
>
> I want to avoid this (and also avoid legacy being installed if not used)
> by making sure a 'Requires: iptables' in any package may be satisfied by
> iptables-nft package as well. If adding 'Provides: iptables' to the
> latter is sufficient, that's fine with me.

That should work yeah, but also might need Obsoletes to handle upgrades?
(ie, remove the old 'iptables' package in favor of 'iptables-nft')

> If my assumptions are correct, I assume there is still a 'Suggests:
> iptables-nft' required in an always installed package like
> fedora-release, right? Also, which package would that be? I don't see
> fedora-release package being used for these things.

Not that I know of, Theres several places base sort of packages get
installed via: comps groups and kickstarts. It looks like iptables is in
the networkmanager-submodules comps group, and I don't see it in
kickstarts, but might be it's pulled via firewalld by anaconda or the
like?

kevin