Re: Fedora 32 System-Wide Change proposal: iptables-nft-default

Hi Kevin,

On Tue, Jan 07, 2020 at 10:16:05AM -0800, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 06, 2020 at 06:02:12PM +0100, Phil Sutter wrote:
> > I just noticed we didn't finish discussing the package rename proposal
> > in related releng issue[1]:
> >
> > On Wed, Oct 30, 2019 at 05:02:08PM -0400, Ben Cotton wrote:
> > [...]
> > > To change the status quo, two measures are planned:
> > >
> > > === Raise priority of nft-variants in <code>alternatives</code> ===
> > >
> > > Currently, legacy variants are installed with priority 10 and nft
> > > variants with priority 5. This must be changed as otherwise installing
> > > <code>iptables-legacy</code> in a system with
> > > <code>iptables-nft</code> installed would change the active
> > > alternative (since they are in automatic mode by default).
> > >
> > > On the other hand, existing systems using legacy variants should not
> > > be changed by a system update. Therefore nft variants' priorities
> > > should be chosen to match legacy ones.
> > >
> > > === Rename <code>iptables</code> package ===
> > >
> > > New name should be <code>iptables-legacy</code> which aligns with
> > > ebtables and arptables and reflects upstream status. To resolve
> > > dependencies, <code>Provides: iptables</code> statement will be added
> > > to <code>iptables-nft</code> package. This should automatically change
> > > the default variant to nft.
> >
> > My motivation for the rename is to abstract 'iptables' keyword other
> > packages depend upon if they need (an implementation of) iptables.
> >
> > With matching Alternatives priorities, the first installed variant
> > package wins and with given lexical ordering, if both legacy and nft
> > variants are installed by default Alternatives will point at legacy.
> >
> > I want to avoid this (and also avoid legacy being installed if not used)
> > by making sure a 'Requires: iptables' in any package may be satisfied by
> > iptables-nft package as well. If adding 'Provides: iptables' to the
> > latter is sufficient, that's fine with me.
>
> That should work yeah, but also might need Obsoletes to handle upgrades?
> (ie, remove the old 'iptables' package in favor of 'iptables-nft')

I don't want to move people from legacy iptables over to nft during
upgrade, that may cause unexpected side-effects.

So your question depends upon whether iptables package is renamed or
not. If not, nothing needs to be done to preserve upgrades. If it is,
I'll go with a compat subpackage just as I did for arptables and
ebtables earlier.

My point in this thread is to clarify whether it is really possible to
establish my goals without renaming iptables package into
iptables-legacy and if so how many hacks are required.

> > If my assumptions are correct, I assume there is still a 'Suggests:
> > iptables-nft' required in an always installed package like
> > fedora-release, right? Also, which package would that be? I don't see
> > fedora-release package being used for these things.
>
> Not that I know of, Theres several places base sort of packages get
> installed via: comps groups and kickstarts. It looks like iptables is in
> the networkmanager-submodules comps group, and I don't see it in
> kickstarts, but might be it's pulled via firewalld by anaconda or the
> like?

Yes, firewalld depends on 'iptables'. My big question is how to make
that dependency prefer iptables-nft (assuming it 'Provides: iptables').

Cheers, Phil