Re: crypto-policies and a certain usage of SHA-1

Michael Catanzaro wrote:
> SHA-1 is blocked in certificate signatures because those can be
> attacked offline. Signatures in the TLS handshake are entirely
> different. I'm hardly an expert, but I think the attacker only has a
> few seconds to generate a hash collision before the user gives up and
> closes the browser tab. Spending several months trying to find a
> collision is not an option here. Am I wrong?

Probing the server repeatedly I get the same value in the Pubkey field
several times in a row. Some time later the value changes. The server
seems to replace the key every few hours or days. The Signature field
is different every time though. Thus I'm not sure whether the
attacker's time limit is the lifetime of the key (which Fedora can't
control) or the TCP timeout.

Björn Persson