Re: F36 Change: Retired Packages (Self-Contained Change proposal)

On Thu, Oct 07, 2021 at 18:23:00 +0200,
 Miro Hrončok <mhroncok@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 07. 10. 21 17:45, Ben Cotton wrote:
* We suggest users to remove packages that are no longer maintained
and may contain security vulnerabilities.

This makes perfect sense.

* We make sure that archaic packages do not break upgrade between two
versions of Fedora.

When are you supposed to run remove-retired-packages?

If you run remove-retired-packages after the upgrade, you already managed to upgrade and nothing is broken, no?

If the upgrade was done with distro-sync with deletes allowed, then the upgrade would have removed blocking packages. If just upgrade was used then the retired packages might have blocked upgrading some packages.

Instead of checking retired packages, people might be better off running dnf list --extras to get a list of installed packages that aren't in any current repo they are using.