Re: Fedora 💔 Java: The Death of Two SIGs

Robert Marcano via devel wrote:
> Even in the case of SCM repositories committed binaries, allowing
> bundling would help a lot,

Well, we cannot allow just using the bundled binaries! There are various
technical and legal concerns that make this a no go. But:

> add some kind of automation that replace these jar for the proposed local
> created maven repository, and link to them, and add the metadata to the
> RPM to know it need to be rebuilt when that dependency is updated.

that is fine (if you really replace ALL bundled JARs with versions built
from source in Fedora), and as Fabio explained, we already have scripting
for that.

But IMHO, you'll really want to replace the JARs with symlinks to the system
versions *twice* in the build process: once before building (because you do
not want to build against a bundled binary blob, which may or may not be
compatible with the system version), and once after installing (because you
want to ship symlinks rather than copies).

        Kevin Kofler