Re: Fedora 💔 Java: The Death of Two SIGs

On Sun, 26 Sept 2021 at 16:35, Christopher <ctubbsii@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I think part of the problem is that Java is too big. There are too
> many libraries to fit into a single community. I think there's
> probably willing volunteers to maintain some libraries and application
> packages, but these are not necessarily the same people willing to do
> all the work of maintaining OpenJDK packages or the whole Eclipse
> stack.
>
> When modularity took out the whole Java stack, it did a lot of lasting
> damage that is going to be hard to recover from. In order for the vast
> majority of Java packagers to return, there needs to be a reliable

I am going to disagree here greatly. The Java stack was in exactly the
same mode it is in now before then. There was 1 person 'maintaining'
hundreds of packages for a long time. There were other 'maintainers'
listed but they were not around or ignoring things from burnout.
People had brought this up year after year and all that would happen
is everyone would say "we can't ever let things down" and pitch in to
fix things (or make the 1 person who was over-committed feel guilty
for asking to lighten the load).

Then when the defacto Java maintainer moved stuff into modules to make
his life easier.. there was a 'well we can find new people to do this
instead' and various initiatives were tried to make it. Those have all
failed because

1. Java and Fedora have a long back history of ugly fighting which
makes it hard for 'older' Java people want to work with Fedora. Like
old feuds, there are landmines which flare up fights no one remembers
exactly but they come up.
2. That ugly fighting is sort of written into the packaging guidelines
because it is a long 'compromise' between how Java wants packages done
and how Fedora wants it done. This makes it hard for 'new' Java people
because they are whiplashed between different world views. And vice
versa, if you aren't a Java person and try to make it fix a Java
package it can be a brain hurt as you try to do things like in other
packages and it all fails.
3. Most Fedora consumers just want the tools to work and pile onto the
smaller pool of developers about 'why is X always broken?' This has
caused continual burnout when new teams came up. It was also what was
burning out the previous people.

Basically Java has been 'broken' for as long as I have been part of
Fedora. The 'good' times are usually just after the last time Java was
going to be pulled out in the next release, and finally everyone drops
the things they really care for and works on it. Then everyone goes
back to their real pleasures and it falls apart again. Later, rinse,
repeat.

--
Stephen J Smoogen.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Flame wars in