Re: Fedora 💔 Java: The Death of Two SIGs

I think part of the problem is that Java is too big. There are too
many libraries to fit into a single community. I think there's
probably willing volunteers to maintain some libraries and application
packages, but these are not necessarily the same people willing to do
all the work of maintaining OpenJDK packages or the whole Eclipse
stack.

When modularity took out the whole Java stack, it did a lot of lasting
damage that is going to be hard to recover from. In order for the vast
majority of Java packagers to return, there needs to be a reliable
base. I'm thinking OpenJDK (which I think is reliably maintained right
now) and XMvn. Java packagers who might be willing to support a lot of
the rest of the libraries (guava, commons-*, etc.) need to be able to
rely on those core components being stable first. Then, when that
trust is restored, I'm sure end-user applications will trickle in.

Right now, I'm not sure there's adequate expertise to reestablish
trust in the Java core tools for Java packagers to start coming back.

One problem is that instead of thinking about the state of Java
packaging as 3 separate layers, core-libraries-applications, and
having only a single massive Java maintenance SIG, probably leaves a
lot of end-user/application packagers like myself just lurking.
There's little I can do to help with the vast majority of Java
packages. And, there's little interest for me doing so, because I'm
still waiting to see if the Java core and some of the libraries can
make a comeback and be stable enough to rely on to start packaging my
applications again. Right now, the whole stack seems unreliable, and
it's a bit overwhelming for the casual volunteer, like me. Maybe this
applies to other packagers as well?