Re: F35 3x slower boot than F34

> Am 05.09.2021 um 15:07 schrieb Stephen John Smoogen <smooge@xxxxxxxxx>:
>
> On Sun, 5 Sept 2021 at 07:12, Peter Boy <pboy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> I watch Distrowatch in an occasional way. It is certainly not the most reliable indicator, unquestioningly. But is is one among others. Currently Fedora ranks 10th, one place ahead of Suse, a distro that has long been considered nearly "dead" and has suffered greatly under Novell. And if you look at sites like stackexchange or serverfault, it's very rarely about Fedora.
>
> Distrowatch allows whoever has the current bot army to be the number
> one distro. The number one distro is usually a flash in the pan which
> lasts until the core developers burn out from the amount of work of
> trying to keep up with Debian or Fedora. ...

As I detailed in the first sentence, Distrowatch is certainly not an exact metric measurement. But it does show long-term trends (over decades) that are not pure coincidence or artifacts of errant bots or fashionable trends either. This includes that Debian, Ubuntu and Fedora are among the stable "big" distributions and also that the gap between Fedora and the other two is constantly widening. And other signs show the same picture.

But forget Distrowatch. That's not the issue I'm concerned about (and obviously Sam is too), but merely an illustration of consequences. The main question is, can we cope with the increased number of packages with the existing structure of centralizing all SELinux matters in a few packages separate from the application software. And this includes how we can keep the related information and documentation up to date and accurate.

> The same goes about arguing about selinux. Most of this thread is
> litigating things from 20 years ago versus now.

The example of Telnet is, indeed. But unfortunately not the other examples. My bug report (e.g. #1900869) is from November 2020 and still open. It renders a software that we "officially" distribute as part of Fedora essentially unusable.  And this for more than 3 releases now. This is current and not really satisfying. And others have similar problems with other current software.

Just to clarify and avoid misunderstandings: I'm not saying our maintainers aren't doing their work, on the contrary. This is a structural or conceptual concern. It worked adequately in the beginning, but may now be inappropriate after years of growth.