Re: New maintainer experience

Kevin Fenzi kirjoitti 20.8.2021 klo 22.32:
On Thu, Aug 19, 2021 at 11:03:27PM +0200, Iago Rubio wrote:
On Wed, 2021-08-18 at 08:56 -0700, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
On Wed, Aug 18, 2021 at 08:15:36PM +0700, Didik Supriadi wrote:
I think ppl now can go to
https://packager-dashboard.fedoraproject.org/user/orphan to see
orphaned
packages.

IMHO, we should not point people to this list.y

Then I messed it up by editing the Wiki.

Should I revert the Wiki to the non-working orphans page ?

No, I don't know that we have any kind of consensus on this, that was
just my opinion.

Sure, there are dragons in the orphaned packages list. But the wiki page with that link also has the appropriate warning:

> Claiming Ownership of a Retired Package
>
> If you really want to maintain a retired package, you need to be aware
> that if upstream is dead, fixing release critical bugs, etc becomes
> your responsibility. This is to ensure the high quality and standards
> of packaging remain for Fedora package collection. There may be
> additional issues with retired packages. If possible, consult with the
> former maintainer for more information.

There are also ideal candidates for helping out, useful and almost functional packages orphaned simply because the previous maintainer does not need them anymore or like that.

This could be further improved by more structured listing of possible paths into joining packages, adopting an orphaned package being one of them. The sensible safety checks could be described there.

<rant>
For some time already, I have all of the package maintainer docs already rewritten and improved at package-maintainer-docs [1], with the intent to keep improving them. They remain unpublished because, despite my pleas, the main docs page maintainers keep ignoring two oneliner pull requests to publish them [2,3].

For cases like this., Fedora would need something like the Nonreponsive Package Maintainer Process for non-package repositories too.
</rant>

[1]: https://pagure.io/fedora-docs/package-maintainer-docs
[2]: https://pagure.io/fedora-docs/docs-fp-o/pull-request/171
[3]: https://pagure.io/fedora-docs/pages/pull-request/14#request_diff