Re: Font Awesome version 5

Hello Aleksei,

On Mon, Aug 2, 2021 at 4:23 PM Aleksei Bavshin <alebastr89@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> 4 and 5 (and 6) are not backward compatible. Glyphs are missing,
> replaced, changed codepoints, etc... Not all things could be ported and
> I don't believe we'll ever get rid of 4.

It's good to have confirmation of the lack of compatibility between
versions.  But ... darn!

> Good thing is that _some_ of the packages with `Requires:
> fontawesome-fonts` already require v5 and work with v4 only partially.
>

> Not so good thing is that someone need to go through about 30 packages
> and update dependencies to `font(fontawesome)` and
> `font(fontawesome5free)`. I started looking at the packages last month,
> but got distracted with work and never finished. Can return to that in a
> couple of weeks.

Am I stepping on your toes with this?  That is, had you already
started working on a v5 package?  I don't want to get in your way if
so.  On the other hand, if you haven't, would you like to comaintain
the one I'm working on?

> One potentially confusing thing is that FA5 consists of two fonts: Font
> Awesome 5 Free and Font Awesome 5 Brands. fa-free-fonts could be
> interpreted as containing only the former one.
> Another is the whole parallel-installable thing and a need to guess
> which package is 4 or 5 (and 6 in a not-so-distant future).
>
> I'd suggest fontawesome5-fonts, or at least something with explicit
> version in the package name.

Okay, that makes sense.  I guess that means that I didn't handle the
subpackages correctly, then.  I'll give this some thought.  Thanks for
the input!
--
Jerry James
http://www.jamezone.org/