Re: Guile & Fesco requiring package maintenance work (was: Re: guile22 -> gnutls -> lots of virt packages)

On Wed, Jul 7, 2021 at 9:38 AM Daniel P. Berrangé <berrange@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 07, 2021 at 03:09:47PM +0200, Hans de Goede wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > On 7/7/21 2:14 PM, Florian Weimer wrote:
> > > * Hans de Goede:

> > > I guess this is partly on us (on the toolchain side).  We missed the
> > > meeting
> >
> > Yes that was less then ideal OTOH since there was no majority to
> > either reject or accept it would have been better IMHO for Fesco
> > to simply postpone the decision and explicitly invite you for the
> > next meeting.
>
> I wonder if the process we're following (as it is defined today)
> is actually beneficial for self-contained changes ? Did having a
> vote which rejected the change actually improve Fedora, or was
> it just busy work that is better eliminated in the common/simple
> case ?

There are three major purposes for Changes:

1. Marketing
2. Transparency
3. Coordination

Every time a Change gets proposed, we get the benefit of all three.
For sure, there are plenty of things that happen in Fedora releases
that don't go through this process, but increasingly people are
leveraging the benefits of this process to support their work. A huge
part of why Fedora is considered an innovative, well-run open source
project is because of this.

> The announcement of the change on this list resulted in minimal
> discussion and no show stopper objections. The points raised in
> the FESCo meeting could have just been discussion in the change
> announcement email thread. Did we actually need an interactive
> meeting for it at a specific time where only a tiny set of people
> are actually present to participate ?
>
> Any time there is a voting process, people are divided into
> winners/loosers. Even if the vote rejects something through
> a technicality, that can easily leave a negative impression.
> In most communities I work in, the need to apply something
> as formal as voting would be considered a failure. Agreement
> should be achieved through discussion, so we don't formally
> divide people. Voting a last resort only when discussion
> fails to come to acceptable consensus.
>

> None the less I can see value in formal FESCo approval for
> system-wide changes that have a broad impact across the
> distro. In that area FESCo is not so much acting as a gate
> keeper, but rather as the designated leadership for the
> project's overall technical vision/direction.

This is often a matter of perspective. I won't go into how much hell I
went through last year with my changes in Fedora Linux 33. It worked
out in the end because I was patient and actively communicating with
everyone, but I can definitely say that was not a fun experience. But
it was *important* because the end result is that we have a solid
platform.

> I'm far less convinced FESCo formally voting is beneficial
> for (uncontroversial) self-contained changes, where the goal
> of the maintainer is largely just to make sure people have
> awareness of what's coming down the pipe.

It can seem like that at first glance and then turn out to not be so.
That was the case with the debuginfod Change[1]. I was not the one
that slowed that Change down, in fact I was *very* enthusiastic about
it. However, Zbigniew had concerns[1] that led to further development
upstream that made a better feature overall for when it was finally
approved.

[0]: https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/DebuginfodByDefault
[1]: https://pagure.io/fesco/issue/2597#comment-728404

> Is there scope for having self-contained changes implicitly
> approved 2 weeks after being posted to Fedora devel list
> in absence of controversy ? In that 2 week period, if someone
> raises an objection that does not get a satisfactorily resolved
> through discussion, they could raise an explicit request for a
> FESCo vote on the change as a last resort.

We lazy approve after three weeks of no objections from the time it
was posted to the list. This is true for both system-wide and
self-contained changes.

That is not what happened with this change. I objected in the original
thread[2], and my concerns were not satisfactorily resolved on-list,
so I objected again in the issue[3].

I stated in the meeting discussion[4] that I was okay with being
overruled, but I still felt strongly enough about it to object. Nobody
brought up any information that would have changed my mind then or
convinced everyone else strongly to overrule my objection.

Now I learn that folks using Guile integration actually *can* still
use their Makefiles in Make-without-Guile with minimal tweaks, so now
I don't care, and we would probably approve it if it were proposed
again.

[2]: https://lists.fedoraproject.org/archives/list/devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/thread/LSUFO6NOE27YDJBDB2SNUVJGUBWWX3EH/
[3]: https://pagure.io/fesco/issue/2558
[4]: https://meetbot.fedoraproject.org/teams/fesco/fesco.2021-02-03-15.00.log.html