Re: Guile & Fesco requiring package maintenance work (was: Re: guile22 -> gnutls -> lots of virt packages)

On Wed, Jul 7, 2021 at 8:14 AM Florian Weimer <fweimer@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> * Hans de Goede:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > On 7/7/21 1:08 PM, Florian Weimer wrote:
> >> * Neal Gompa:

> >> We have a mandate from Fesco that the core toolchain must depend on
> >> Guile.  Naturally that makes updates rather difficult.
> >
> > So I've gone and checked the Fesco issue where dropping guile
> > support from make + gdb was discussed:
> >
> > https://pagure.io/fesco/issue/2558
> >
> > And I must say that I find the argumentation for rejecting the
> > change very very weak. I would really expect Fesco to make better
> > motivated decisions then this one.
> >
> > I'm especially shocked about how Fesco is in essence mandating
> > a group of maintainers to spend time maintaining a feature
> > where they clearly have indicated they don't want to maintain
> > that feature.
>
> I guess this is partly on us (on the toolchain side).  We missed the
> meeting, and no one pointed out that the make change in particular meant
> that instead of writing $(guile …), the user arguing for this feature
> would have to write $(shell guile …).  The make/Guile integration is
> simply not very deep.  It's not that you can rewrite recipes, have
> access to the dependency engine, or anything like that.

If I had known that, I would have voted differently. If using Guile in
Make is trivial even without the native support, then documenting how
to do it would have been fine. I assumed it was like how GDB's
integration works, where you can instrument the tool itself.

> (There is deeper integration for GDB, but no one seemed to be concerned
> about that for some reason.)

I have not seen any Guile usage for instrumenting GDB. Everyone uses
Python. So, this didn't really bother me. For Make, there was no other
option, and I didn't know the Guile integration wasn't much of one
that could be replaced with a shell exec.

If you were dropping *both* Guile and Python, we would have words. :)