Re: Fedora Source-git SIG report #1 (June 2021)

On Wed, 2021-06-30 at 14:31 +0200, Tomas Tomecek wrote:
> After reading your explanation of how gentoo does packaging, it
> indeed makes a lot of sense and feels like that most of the
> concerns I pointed out have solutions or could be mitigated.
>
> The biggest problem I personally see is the effort which would be
> needed to pull this off: it would take years to accomplish, a ton of
> teams would be involved and all the maintainers would need to
> cooperate - and then we'd need to do the same thing for CentOS Stream
> and RHEL.
>
> Such a change to the development workflow would be massive and the
> level of coordination would be immense. That's all I can say.

I agree, it would be a lot to change.

> Looks like the gentoo-bot is a critical piece of the development
> process so that people are able to progress with their contributions
> efficiently.

It certainly does feel pretty helpful. Even if we don't go for a
monorepo here, one could imagine a bot like that being useful here too.

> Thanks Randy for such a great write-up. Now that I think about it,
> the monorepo proposal is orthogonal to the source-git proposal as the
> two workflows serve different purposes: one is meant for development
> (source-git: write a patch), the other one for integration into the
> operating system (tinker with a spec file or the build system).

Yeah I do think they are orthogonal concerns.

Enjoy your weekend Tomas (and everyone!)