Re: Fedora Source-git SIG report #1 (June 2021)

On Thu, Jun 24, 2021, at 5:16 AM, Tomas Tomecek wrote:
> Greetings from the Fedora source-git SIG! We are planning to start
> publishing reports of what we are working on so everyone can easily
> pay attention and get involved if interested. If you have any ideas,
> comments or requests, don’t be shy and let us know :)

I really appreciate your efforts here.  I think most of us know
that the current RPM workflow is very antiquated.

However, two things:

- The representation for how we maintain source code is a
  very long-term commitment.  It's hard to maintain multiple
  of them.  Related to that, the details of how this works
  will quickly become "frozen" and hard to change, so
  it's important to get it right from the start.  Related
  to that:
- I think this proposal only benefits very few packages,
  mainly kernel/grub where the upstream is large
  and we carry nontrivial deltas.  For most others,
  it will either be neutral or worse.  So...my counter
  proposal is to iterate closer to a NixOS/OpenEmbedded style "uni-repo"
  model, leaving these special cases to basically become
  forked upstream repositories.  Instead of carrying 208+
  patches to grub, we'd have a separate git repo that gets rebased.
  Which...is how it already works at https://github.com/rhboot/grub2/tree/fedora-35
  it looks like.

On the "uni-repo" counter proposal: there's a bunch of real-world examples here of distributions using this successfully:
https://github.com/projectatomic/rpmdistro-gitoverlay/blob/master/doc/reworking-fedora-releng.md#unified-source-and-pr-driven-workflow