Re: Fedora Source-git SIG report #1 (June 2021)

On Mon, Jun 28, 2021 at 6:48 PM Colin Walters <walters@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 24, 2021, at 5:16 AM, Tomas Tomecek wrote:
> > Greetings from the Fedora source-git SIG! We are planning to start
> > publishing reports of what we are working on so everyone can easily
> > pay attention and get involved if interested. If you have any ideas,
> > comments or requests, don’t be shy and let us know :)
>
> I really appreciate your efforts here.  I think most of us know
> that the current RPM workflow is very antiquated.
>
> However, two things:
>
> - The representation for how we maintain source code is a
>   very long-term commitment.  It's hard to maintain multiple
>   of them.  Related to that, the details of how this works
>   will quickly become "frozen" and hard to change, so
>   it's important to get it right from the start.  Related
>   to that:
> - I think this proposal only benefits very few packages,
>   mainly kernel/grub where the upstream is large
>   and we carry nontrivial deltas.  For most others,
>   it will either be neutral or worse.  So...my counter
>   proposal is to iterate closer to a NixOS/OpenEmbedded style "uni-repo"
>   model, leaving these special cases to basically become
>   forked upstream repositories.  Instead of carrying 208+
>   patches to grub, we'd have a separate git repo that gets rebased.
>   Which...is how it already works at https://github.com/rhboot/grub2/tree/fedora-35
>   it looks like.
>
> On the "uni-repo" counter proposal: there's a bunch of real-world examples here of distributions using this successfully:
> https://github.com/projectatomic/rpmdistro-gitoverlay/blob/master/doc/reworking-fedora-releng.md#unified-source-and-pr-driven-workflow

The monorepo model scales very badly once you have a huge number of
contributors. And having per-package ACLs is basically toast in a
monorepo.

Note that AUR doesn't use a monorepo, they map each SVN folder to a
Git branch instead. It's effectively thousands of Git repos smushed
into one super-repo with thousands of branches.

Having experienced monorepo models for packaging before, it's rife
with issues and makes tracking history super-hard. In general, I think
a monorepo model is a horrible idea and should never be considered for
Fedora.