Re: x86_64-v2 in Fedora

On Thu, 17 Jun 2021 at 04:45, Vitaly Zaitsev via devel
<devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 16.06.2021 22:22, Matthew Miller wrote:
> > Well, that's certainly A Position. I don't think it's anything nearly so
> > absolute, though, and depends on what, who, how, why, and a host of other
> > things. And "it can help us answer questions like this for our community" is
> > a pretty non-evil "why".
>
> Built-in system level keylogger in one well-known operating system also
> helps its developers?

1. This conversation is not about other operating systems.
2. No one is talking about installing keyloggers or similar tools.

I am saying the following from learning this the hard way. Bringing up
extremes only causes people who are 'neutral' minded that you want to
bring to your side to think the other side is probably more valid. If
you want to talk about the evils of telemetry, stick to the case in
point as limited as it is.

The case being: adding such information to dnf reporting so that
countme or similar centralized logging can survey the Fedora user
audience better.

The problems with this is that we are taking a fairly fuzzy data set
and making it much easier to track individual users in ways seen as
problematic by various laws and regulations. HTTPD logs already have
the ip address, timestamp, requested information, and user-agent of
the system. However it is very hard to say which of 10,000 systems
behind a VPN was a particular request because the information just
says x86_64 versus.. x86_64-v1 (v2 or v3). While not really
pinpointing an individual it helps narrow down a search extremely.

There are useful points in getting telemetry data of this sort. We
could know better that we have a 60% population of v2 systems or that
90% of our arm systems are not system ready but raspberry pi's. That
would allow for engineering to focus its resources on things which the
consumers of the OS need versus what  a 'vocal population' want.

It is also a slippery slope that quickly adds more and more to the
point where 'keyboard stroke telemetry' doesn't look like a big leap
because you already have so many other ways to keep track of people,
but you aren't sure if your new autospell or extra code key features
are working well.

> --
> Sincerely,
>    Vitaly Zaitsev (vitaly@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx)

Stephen J Smoogen.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Flame wars in
sci.astro.orion. I have seen SPAM filters overload because of Godwin's
Law. All those moments will be lost in time... like posts on  BBS...
time to reboot.