Re: F35 Change: Make btrfs the default file system for Fedora Cloud (System-Wide Change proposal)

On Wed, 2021-05-26 at 16:59 -0600, Chris Murphy wrote:
> On Wed, May 26, 2021 at 5:30 AM Peter Boy <pboy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > > Am 26.05.2021 um 08:51 schrieb Chris Murphy <
> > > lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> > > What controversial discussion is being referenced? Currently before
> > > us
> > > is a proposal to switch to Btrfs for Cloud edition.
> >
> > I’m quite sure you know that discussion. Part to it was Red Hat’s
> > decision to drop BTRFS in RHEL 8 (to my dismay, by the way, because I
> > used it for some file systems on our servers). And because there is
> > that decision and that discussion, I expect it will take a longer
> > time to switch e.g. server to BTRFS as system wide default. So my
> > casual 10-year forecast is not an overreaction as Neal put it (at
> > most some pessimism).
>
> I understand you think it will take longer. What I don't understand is
> why you think this, but I guess we can just skip over that.
>
> But let's keep the Red Hat aspect of the storyline in context though.
> And not extrapolate beyond the available facts.
>
> Whereupon Server SIG/WG perform an evaluation of Btrfs for their use
> cases, and decide Btrfs should be the default in a compelling manner,
> FESCo will approve it. And this plausibly could still happen for
> Fedora 35, if folks really want it to happen. But I think it's neither
> urgent nor requires a long delay. Server SIG can do anything they
> want. Red Hat is doing the same.
>

> > I think we have a misunderstanding here. My argument refers to
> > expected hurdles of a possible changeover process, not to technical
> > features.
>
> My opinion is to not worry about the process in advance of arriving at
> the hurdle. You jump over the hurdle at the proper time. The vast
> majority of the process is about technical features liabilities.
>
> For example, I expect Server folks probably prefer LVM LV's for
> backing virtual machines, rather than raw or qcow2 no matter the file
> system. Even if this can be approximated by fallocate (raw and qcow2
> support it, as as well as ext4, xfs, btrfs) to preallocate the backing
> file, it's likely a lot of Server folks will just prefer using LVM for
> this case. That's fine.
>
> A good question is to what degree can Server edition, via Anaconda
> kickstart, divvy up a drive in boolean fashion? I know there's some
> thresholds like, if the drive is below a certain size, don't create
> /home, and so on. Could Server default installations default to a ~20G
> Btrfs system volume; and either leave the rest unallocated (not
> partitioned)? Or make all remaining space an LVM PV, added to a single
> VG? And then just not create any LVs? I think I'd like to see each:
> unallocated, PV only, PV + VG, in Cockpit's UI and get some feedback
> from those folks because it'd be ideal if the overview of the
> initially installed system can clearly show the layout, whatever it
> is.
>
> Not often but sometimes folks ask "where has all the space gone?"
> [...]
As I recall it was very preliminary, and the suggestion is that the
working groups can be merged at some point in the future.

- mattdm brought it up back in December

https://meetbot.fedoraproject.org/teams/serversig/serversig.2020-12-16-18.00.log.html
  (timestamp: 18:52:23)

- there's discussion about talking to Cloud WG on April 7

https://meetbot.fedoraproject.org/teams/fedora-server/fedora-server.2021-04-07-17.01.log.html
  (timestamp: 17:44:55)

I don't think there was ever a discussion of making the two products
technically aligned (nor do I really see a need, even if the working
groups end up being merged).

There has not been an official proposal; to my recollection it has not
been brought up at a Cloud WG meeting.

Best regards,

--
Michel Alexandre Salim